Coding for a living

Jonathan Ellis jonathan at carnageblender.com
Fri Dec 23 15:23:46 MST 2005

On Fri, 23 Dec 2005 12:53:21 -0700, "Charles Curley"
<charlescurley at charlescurley.com> said:
> What I look for as a hiring manager is some sample code: a short,
> understandable program or stand-alone snippet. I want to see your
> design in the program, I want to see how you name variables, and how
> you comment your code. I want to be able to understand your code by
> looking at it.

That's not what I look for at all.  We're not hiring people to write
toy programs; seeing one doesn't tell me much more than I will find out
by having you write some code on a whiteboard.

The real use of having OSS on your resume is it shows you can contribute
real code to real projects.  This is particularly useful when, as a
newcomer to the field, you have no other experience that demonstrates
this.

-Jonathan