Coding for a living

Steve smorrey at gmail.com
Fri Dec 23 00:09:42 MST 2005

Good Point, I'll keep that in mind as I finish the series up.
It's meant to be a community development site for games built with a
specific game engine.  Specifically it fills a highly demanded niche
within the community it serves.  You see the Torque Game Engine itself
has been applied to nearly every kind of game you could imagine.
However no one has successfully written an RPG or more specifically a
crossplatform MMORPG.

I wrote the original tutorial series for converting the engine into a
MultiPlayer Online RolePlaying Game about a year ago.

Since that time I have been reworking the engine and tutorials to make
it suitable for a Win/Lin/Mac MMORPG.

I have been especially spurred on of late by Josh Ritters "Minions of
Mirth", which is a successful newly launched MMORPG, written by a
couple of guys in their spare time over the course of a couple years.

I'm taking a different approach then Josh to arrive at the same end point.
Proving that to make a MMORPG using commodity hardware and where
possible community software nowdays is feasible and within the realm
of possibilty for anyone so inclined.

To that point I created a proof of concept MMORPG engine, which lays
on top of TGE.
It works and is functional, runs on commodity hardware.
I'm giving this back to the community that taught me game design, in
hope they will take it and run with it.  But I'm going one step
further, as part of the release cycle I am including exactly what
steps I undertook to develop the engine.

The site has been live for 5 days has 75+ users and I'm at the point
now where I have to introduce a community admin system just to keep up
with the requests to participate.  I hope the momentum keeps going.

Regardless, I did this to give back to a community that gave me much,
now I've gotten a handle on more advanced and abstract programming
concepts, I sure would like to start getting paid for my future
programming work ;)
Hence the reason I mentioned it.

You are right though, it's probably not appropriate to show that place
as part of a portfolio.  Alot of PHBs might not realize how much
serious work goes into game design.  A fun, playable, stable
crossplatform networked game involves all aspects of programming.
>From UI development, to underlaying netcode, to well you name it.
This whole thing basically boils down to a challenge to myself.
Am I able to pull this off?  Only time can tell.

In the meantime, I will keep explaining to people how to remove
viruses from their windows machines by day, and put on my game
designer cap at night ;)

Regards,
Steve