Coding for a living

Jonathan Ellis jonathan at carnageblender.com
Thu Dec 22 21:39:40 MST 2005

On Thu, 22 Dec 2005 21:06:42 -0700, "Sasha Pachev" <sasha at asksasha.com>
said:
>  > Sure would be nice to code for a living though.
>
> I suggest using whatever spare time you have to contribute to some
> open-source
> project. Ideally, you want to have your own that you have created from
> scratch,
> as well as some bigger scale project to which you have contributed. Then
> prospective employers do not treat you as the "entry level" programmer
> any more.

Seriously.  Even a long interview doesn't tell a prospective employer as
much as having some nontrivial source code he can look at.  I would say
that contributing to someone else's project looks better than starting
your own (unless yours is one of the few that attracts dozens of
developers) since that says that not only are you motivated to keep
learning, but that the project leads thought your code was good enough
to merge.  (And if you're a newbie, that's also a great way to get free
advice, assuming you pick a project with friendly leads.)

-Jonathan