Best references for system administration

Carl Youngblood carl at youngbloods.org
Wed Dec 21 17:15:23 MST 2005

Hey guys,

I have recently accepted an engineering position where I may be called
upon to some system administration as well.  I understand network
programming fairly well, especially web development, and I manage my
own linux, OS X and windows systems at home.  Of course I have done
plenty of small-time home networking setups, but nothing enterprise
level.  I'm not as familiar with some of the more sysadmin-type stuff,
like designing large-scale networks, routing, firewalls, email
management, Active Directory, MS Exchange, WINS, BIND, VPNs, intrusion
detection, system deployment, backup, etc.

Can anyone recommend some essential references that will give me a
crash course in these kinds of things, preferrably in order of
priority?

Thanks,

Carl Youngblood