Gateway E-1400?

Michael Huston mike at jhuston.com
Wed Dec 21 05:50:08 MST 2005

My original box had a hardware malfunction, and I need to replace it,
but haven't gotten around to it. Right now, there's a Gateway E-1400
that I want to dual-boot with linux and windows 98, but cannot find any
information on this model. I have tried booting into Ubuntu or however
that's spelled, with no luck. I manage to load everything and get a
graphical login screen for a split second, but then it crashes the
graphical login and pops up a message that it has crashed and will try
again in 15 seconds or some such.

I have googled it, searched linuxcompatible.org etc, but haven't found
anything about getting linux on this box. Does anyone know if this is
possible? Does anyone know if there's a distro that I can load that
will support a netgear wg311v2 without any messy driver compiling, as
well as not crash when trying to load the GUI on a gateway e-1400?