Distributed filesystems

Shane Hathaway shane at hathawaymix.org
Sat Dec 17 01:06:55 MST 2005

Joel Finlinson wrote:
>        You've got too many pointed-haired-bosses at your employer?
> They think that your company is smarter or more important than MIT?
> More mission-critical than NASA?  Good grief!  www.coraid.com has a
> pretty darn impressively list of highly recommended customers.  I
> wouldn't mind having my company associated with those on their
> list.......

Indeed.  But to my bosses, Coraid looks like an ant ready to be squished
because Coraid has a low employee count.  They prefer IBM, HP, EMC,
NetApp, etc. because the big guys can't be killed off as easily.  I can
see the logic, because we'll have to live with our solution for a long time.

But they fail to understand the power and longevity of open systems.
AFAICT Coraid's systems are 100% open, both hardware and software, so
we'd always have an upgrade path regardless of the fate of any vendor.
For a lot of business folks, that's a totally different way of thinking.

Shane