Raid 5

Dan Hanks hanksdc at plug.org
Fri Dec 16 10:36:23 MST 2005

On Thu, 1 Dec 2005, Ross Werner wrote:

> Are there compelling reasons to use RAID 5 over RAID 1? The convenience
> factor of RAID 1 just seems to outweigh all performance benefits of
> RAID 5, especially when you factor in recovery time and things like that.

I'm late to the game in my response, by I hope it's useful.

Just wanted to point folks to

http://www.baarf.com/

It's kind of Oracle-centric, but good info nonetheless, and a compelling
argument against RAID5.

Hardware RAID10 + battery-backed write cache is my favorite for speed and
reliabilty (though more expensive). Lots of spindles :-).

FWIW,

-- Dan