Powered by Linux? or Greed?

Steve smorrey at gmail.com
Thu Dec 15 19:13:36 MST 2005

Yeah and I hope no one takes this the wrong way.
I have no problems at all with companies making millions of dollars on
opensource software.  In fact I love to think back at all the projects
I've worked on over the years, contributing a little code here,
submitting a bug fix there, mostly playing cheerleader, heck even just
griping when something doesn't work.

Also Open Source is where I LEARNED to program the right way.

The community always puts forth it's best effort to make products for
the community.

What I take exception to are companies who will rob from the GPL.
Put an exclusive copyright on top of the copyright me and thousands of
others just like me have already put on it, then say "haha, if you
want to see what we done, yer gonna have ta pony up some bux!".

Violating the Share-Alike clause is to me tantamount to fraud and at
least constitutes a lie.

Not only that this isn't the biggest company in the world they have there.
If they would just make the code available on the website, others
could modify, submit patches and what have you.  They could continue
to get free, or cheap HQ labor in improving their products.

Ok well I guess thats enough preaching to the choir.

I'll let you know what I hear.  I'll give them a few weeks (this being
the holidays and all I'm sure even they have to worship Santa Clause),
if i hear nothing I'm going to report them to both places.

I suggest everyone else write them too, and ask for pretty much the
exact same thing.
Here are their contact details

Amino Communications LLC 3625 Brookside Parkway Suite 150 Alpharetta
GA 30022, USA

Tel: +1-678-636-6000
Fax: +1-678-636-6001
Email: info at aminocom.com