Still need help w/ Debian install

Hans Fugal hans at fugal.net
Thu Dec 15 18:17:40 MST 2005

Well, honestly your best bet is going to be to come to an install fest
where you can get linux installed with a broadband connection available,
and someone can help you get the important things like your modem and
cdrom working. Just as good would be taking your box to a willing guru
somewhere where there's broadband (yes, we're addicted).

Now for some brief thoughts/leads on what you mentioned.

For modem connectivity, give wvdial a try. It should be on the CDs
somewhere.

If your CDROM doesn't work after installing, that would be a
misconfiguration or kernel issue. If you're sure you have a plain
vanilla ATAPI CDROM, I'd suspect ide-scsi being used where ide-cd was
being used by the installer, or vice versa. If another of the distros
you have there got it right (e.g. Ubuntu) I'd just say go with that one.

On Woody for a browser, did you look for mozilla or mozilla-firefox?

The nano editing troubles sound like they might be permissions.  Are you
editing as root?

I can't speak for the ubuntu installer, but I would bet there's an
advanced mode where you _could_ install it on hdb.

Ubuntu definitely has firefox and thunderbird, which should take care of
email. I would be surprised if it didn't have wvdial as well. It might
be easiest to load up ubuntu, get it online with wvdial, then go from
there.