Powered by Linux? or Greed?

Steve smorrey at gmail.com
Thu Dec 15 16:22:24 MST 2005

Hey all,
I've been having quite abit of difficulty as of late with the Amino
110 boxes provided by MStar for television access.
Of particular note, I quite literally managed to turn  the thing into
a brick while placing an order for PPV (I guess I had the maximum PPV
expenditure set to zero and must've confused the poor thing)

The normal steps of unplug the machine and reboot it did not work, it
essentially turned into a shiny metal brick.

24 hours later and we have a new Amino TV box.
While it was booting for the first time, I was watching it very
carefully, and noticed that it is powered by Linux kernel 2.4.22 with
a compile date of 24032004 or March 24th of 2004.

So I figured what the heck, why not try to gather up as much
information as I can, and see what hacks can be done for this.

After finding the manufacturers website, I noticed that they have a
version with a USB port.  I go to get the spec sheet and it says in
there, of course in passing...
"We support open standards, such as linux" or something along those lines.

However NO where else on the site is there any refference to Linux, no
where on the site is there any place where you can download the
sourcecode.

You can "license" an SDK, but you cannot freely download the GPLd
software they use, let alone download the modifications.

The more I look into this, the more I'm thinking these guys are making
a fortune ripping off the open source community.

Look here
http://www.aminocom.com/products/pdf/amino_Client%20Software_flyer.pdf

And here
http://www.aminocom.com/products/pdf/AmiNET110_flyer.pdf

Is there anybody to report these guys to?