suse question

Tyler Strickland tyler at tylers.org
Wed Dec 14 18:28:47 MST 2005

On 12/14/2005 11:50 AM, Shane Hathaway wrote:
> Gentoo lets me make fine-grained choices about the stability of each
> package, then churns away in the background to make those choices a
> reality.  I once tried to achieve similar freedom using SRPMs and
> rpmbuild, but rpmbuild is far less automated than Portage, so SRPMs
> turned out to require a horrible amount of work.  (A full-time job, no
> doubt.)
>
> I wonder how well Debian automates building from sources.

It really depends on what you want to do.  On my server, for example, I
use MySQL 4.1, yet some packages such as Courier have their dependencies
set up to only use the MySQL 4.0 client libraries.  This presends a
problem because 4.1 uses a new password authentication mechanism.  It
was fairly simple for me to download the source package using 'apt-get
source' and 'apt-get build-dep', which could then be modified to have
the appropriate dependencies.  The process is fairly quick and painless.

I can't say for more complicated scenarios, though - anyone else done
something more complex?

--Tyler