Linux compatible digital camera recommendations?

Roberto Mello rmello at fslc.usu.edu
Mon Dec 12 13:19:44 MST 2005

On Sun, Dec 11, 2005 at 11:12:06PM -0700, Dave Smith wrote:
> I'm looking for a digital camera this Christmas, and it needs to be Linux
> compatible. My only requirement in addition to "takes descent pictures" is
> that it also takes descent video. Can anyone recommend one?

I've had a Fuji, a Samsung and two Sony's. I like Sony's the best, because
of the nice user interface, features, great movie features, and decent
price. Only down is that you have to use Sony's MemoryStick, but they're
well priced these days.

My current camera is a Sony DSC-V1. The two Sony's I've had just mount as
USB storage devices. The movie mode on the V1 makes videos at 640x480 (or
320x240 I think) at 15 fps for as long as you have space left in the media
(which is not the case with all cameras). That gives me some 5 minutes of
video with my 512 MiB memory stick. The video is just mpeg, no weird
codecs required, and the sound is great.

The quality is of course not like that of a camcorder, but I love it. I
make short movies of my son and family all the time, and we watch them on
our DVD player (which plays mpegs) from a burned DVD-RW.

After good pictures and good movies, the UI is what I like the best on the
Sony's.

-Roberto

--
My other computer is a female replicant built for love.