suse question

Shane Hathaway shane at hathawaymix.org
Mon Dec 12 12:49:24 MST 2005

Stuart Jansen wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-12-12 at 12:08 -0700, Shane Hathaway wrote:
>
>>Why RPM when you can 'deb' or 'ebuild'?  Either one makes RPM or
>>setup.exe look antique.  (/me dons asbestos suit)
>
> Hardly. rpm, deb and ebuild are all largely equivalent. Each has unique
> advantages and disadvantages, but usually they aren't significant enough
> to recommend one distro over another. Once upon a time, apt-get and
> portage could be sighted as a significant advantage over rpm based
> solutions. Those days are gone. YUM, YaST and urpmi are all adequate
> counter-arguments. (Although some are more adequate than others.)

The tools are the same but the communities are different.  RPM packages
are most closely linked with companies that believe free software must
be sold as a product, Debian packages much less so, and Gentoo packages
not at all.  Though I'm aware of counterexamples.

> If you're going to beat an old nag, let's at least talk about something
> with true value: why Vim is the One True Editor and why using emacs
> hurts our troops and imperils the soul of anyone so foolish as to do so.

Most of the smart software engineers I know personally use emacs more
often than vi.  I don't know why. :-)

Shane