suse question

Stuart Jansen sjansen at buscaluz.org
Mon Dec 12 12:23:08 MST 2005

On Mon, 2005-12-12 at 12:08 -0700, Shane Hathaway wrote:
> Why RPM when you can 'deb' or 'ebuild'?  Either one makes RPM or
> setup.exe look antique.  (/me dons asbestos suit)

/me glances over at his ultra-tweaked, super-charged, high capacity
flame thrower but feels too lazy to light it

Hardly. rpm, deb and ebuild are all largely equivalent. Each has unique
advantages and disadvantages, but usually they aren't significant enough
to recommend one distro over another. Once upon a time, apt-get and
portage could be sighted as a significant advantage over rpm based
solutions. Those days are gone. YUM, YaST and urpmi are all adequate
counter-arguments. (Although some are more adequate than others.)

If you're going to beat an old nag, let's at least talk about something
with true value: why Vim is the One True Editor and why using emacs
hurts our troops and imperils the soul of anyone so foolish as to do so.

Stuart Jansen              e-mail/jabber: sjansen at buscaluz.org
                           google talk:   stuart.jansen at gmail.com
* ^From:.*sjansen@