suse question

Shane Hathaway shane at hathawaymix.org
Mon Dec 12 11:59:31 MST 2005

Stuart Jansen wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-12-12 at 10:20 -0700, Shane Hathaway wrote:
>
>>With any RPM-based distro, I always copy the contents of all of the
>>install CDs to the hard drive.
>
> I don't want to waste that much space. Better to just not use SUSE as my
> primary disro. I plan on averaging 3 to 5 installs on this system at a
> time, so disk will be at a premium.

All 6 CDs consume 4 GB, which is only 1% of a desktop drive these days,
so I assume your drive is smaller than that.

>>Also, are you using SUSE or OpenSUSE?  Even though I have access to
>>licenses for "enterprise" SUSE, I prefer OpenSUSE just because it's
>>easier to fetch from the net.
>
> I'm using the purchased SUSE 10.0. I'm curious what you mean by "I
> prefer OpenSUSE just because it's easier to fetch from the net." I
> haven't had a chance to play with OpenSUSE yet. By "it" do you mean the
> base system RPMs? Where do you get them? I expect they should be
> compatible with my system.

For us, getting the OpenSUSE ISOs and update RPMs from the net takes
less time and effort than wading through Novell's portal to find
official enterprise SUSE updates.  I would expect the RPMs to be 99%
compatible between OpenSUSE and SUSE, but in my experience, the
remaining 1% of differences between distributions eats hours and days of
sysadmin time, so I wouldn't even mix OpenSUSE and SUSE.

Shane