suse question

Bart Whiteley bart.plug at whiteley.org
Mon Dec 12 11:26:56 MST 2005

Stuart Jansen wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-12-12 at 11:01 -0700, Bart Whiteley wrote:
>> Why would I have meant that?  You weren't trying to build your own repository.
>
> Mostly because I'm in a bad mood at the moment. You have just revealed
> an un-documented (as far as I've been able to tell) mirror providing
> exactly what I want. Why the files on the apparent mirror doesn't just
> appear on ftp.suse.com and why this has to wait for mysterious "future
> versions" is beyond me. SUSE has a history of being a walled garden.
> Novell has been tearing down some of those walls, but I continue to be
> deeply skeptical. Novell pretended that the first OpenSUSE release was a
> major accomplishment. In actuality, it was a tiny baby step. Novell is
> obviously trying to become a better community player, but still has work
> to do. Reporting bugs to Novell is still too complicated.

What is too complicated about entering bugs?

> The publicly
> accessible bug database is still too limited. Getting access to
> supposedly open packages required two days of searching followed by a
> cry for help.

The URL I gave you came from here:
http://www.opensuse.org/Released_Version#Downloads
Near the bottom: "Internet Installation Repository"
If you do a network install, YaST is plugged into an oline repository "out of
the box", just like you want it.

Agreed that it is difficult to find there.  I just wanted to share where I
found it for the benefit of all.