suse question

Stuart Jansen sjansen at buscaluz.org
Mon Dec 12 11:11:34 MST 2005

On Mon, 2005-12-12 at 11:01 -0700, Bart Whiteley wrote:
> Why would I have meant that?  You weren't trying to build your own repository.

Mostly because I'm in a bad mood at the moment. You have just revealed
an un-documented (as far as I've been able to tell) mirror providing
exactly what I want. Why the files on the apparent mirror doesn't just
appear on ftp.suse.com and why this has to wait for mysterious "future
versions" is beyond me. SUSE has a history of being a walled garden.
Novell has been tearing down some of those walls, but I continue to be
deeply skeptical. Novell pretended that the first OpenSUSE release was a
major accomplishment. In actuality, it was a tiny baby step. Novell is
obviously trying to become a better community player, but still has work
to do. Reporting bugs to Novell is still too complicated. The publicly
accessible bug database is still too limited. Getting access to
supposedly open packages required two days of searching followed by a
cry for help. (And I'm filled by horror as I contemplate a month of
trying to live with YaST+SuSEconfig.)

Stuart Jansen              e-mail/jabber: sjansen at buscaluz.org
                           google talk:   stuart.jansen at gmail.com
* ^From:.*sjansen@