Windows equivalent to a Linux product?

Gabriel Gunderson gabe at gundy.org
Fri Dec 9 11:43:29 MST 2005

On Fri, 2005-12-09 at 09:39 -0700, Kenneth Burgener wrote:

> If you have the option, I would recommend Windows Remote Desktop over
> RealVNC and TightVNC, as it performs much better, plus it has some
> sort of encrypted stream, where RealVNC (free) does not.

I like RDP and use it when needed in a private subnet, but I like VNC
for ease when outside of the network and going through a gateway.

me <-> Internet <-> gw.somedomain.tld <-> host1.somedomain.tld

In that case I run:
vncviewer  --via=gw.somedomain.tld  host1

And all I have to do is have port 22 open for ssh and have an account on
the gateway.  If I want another host inside the private subnet I just
change it to:
vncviewer  --via=gw.somedomain.tld  host2

I found that unless you want to set up tunnels ahead of time or do port
forwarding with iptables, you can't get the same behavior from RDP.  If
you have 150 hosts on the private subnet it's not really that practical
or desirable to forward ports to each computer or to manually set up
tunnels.

With the "via" option the traffic is encrypted with ssh while over the
Internet but unencrypted on the private network.  Not really that great
but acceptable in many cases.

If I knew a way to do the same thing with RDP I would use it
exclusively.  Any ideas?

Gabe