Difference between Mstar, iProvo and Utopia

Kenneth Burgener kenneth at uvlug.org
Fri Dec 2 14:23:49 MST 2005

Kenneth Burgener wrote:
> What is the difference between Mstar, iProvo and Utopia?

 From the research I have been doing, this is the history...

Apparently this whole network started with iProvo [1].  Several other
cities liked this idea, so they decided to join together to create their
own network called UTOPIA (Utah Telecommunication Open Infrastructure
Agency) [2].  This ticked off the other telecommunication companies [3].
  UTOPIA originally included Salt Lake City[4] as one of the major
financial backers.

Then in 2004 Salt Lake City backed out thanks to mayor Rocky Anderson[5]:

--- highlights from [5] ---
Eleven of the original 18 cities approved the funding. But the biggest
blow came from Salt Lake City, the largest of the cities involved in the
project, which voted against backing the bonds.

"I just don't see the social good in using taxpayer money to fund a
network that provides more television and bandwidth for illegally
downloading files." -- Rocky Anderson, mayor
Salt Lake City

"I just don't see the social good in using taxpayer money to fund a
network that provides more television and bandwidth for illegally
downloading files." -- Rocky Anderson, mayor
Salt Lake City
-------

Is he for real?  I am not particularly fond of his way of thinking.

There are good supporters of UTOPIA, such as XMission[6], and even
XMissions' Pete Ashdown[7].

Currently there are 4 service providers for the UTOPIA: AT&T, XMission,
MStar, and Veracity.

Kenneth

[1] http://www.iprovo.net/modules/xoopsfaq/index.php?cat_id=1#q5

[2] http://www.utopianet.org/