Raid 5 (was: Mounting of Linux volumes)

Ross Werner ross at agilestudios.com
Fri Dec 2 12:20:02 MST 2005

On Fri, 2 Dec 2005, Jeff Schroeder wrote:
> In general, I'd recommend only doing backups of data (e.g., /home)
> versus backups of the entire system (e.g., / or /dev).  The backup
> system needs to have the OS installed anyway, so why copy it wholesale
> from the primary?

What I've found is that when I pick and choose certain directories I tend
to forget things ("Oh, crap, it would have been really handy to have all
the conf files in /etc" ... or "Dang, I forgot the mail files in
/var/spool" ... or "It would be really handy to have [x] right now" where
[x] is some file I didn't think I'd need to back up but was in some
obscure place in the file system).

I typically only *restore* the data directories, but having the rest of
the file system there is highly valuable for reference purposes. Even if
you have a monster install, it's typically only 3-5 GB of extra stuff
(where your data is going to be at least ten times that), so in my opinion
the trade-off is more than worth it.

 	~ Ross