Raid 5 (was: Mounting of Linux volumes)

Ross Werner ross at agilestudios.com
Fri Dec 2 12:14:42 MST 2005

On Fri, 2 Dec 2005, Michael Torrie wrote:
> Rsyncing and RAID10 (or RAID1) do serve different purposes.  I'm going
> for a type of backup rather than redundancy, although rsync can provide
> you with a certain amount of redundancy.  RAID is not backup.  If you
> hose disk a with random data, it's mirror is hosed too.

I personally use RAID to protect against hard drive failures *and* rsync
for backups (for when somebody deletes an important file etc). If you're
only going to do one of the above, I'd recommend rsync--wonky stuff
happens far more often than drive failures, and a drive failure still just
means a few hours of lost data. If you're in a situation to worry about
the drawbacks of only doing rsync, then you really should be doing both,
not just RAID. (All IMHO.)

 	~ Ross