Raid 5 (was: Mounting of Linux volumes)

Corey Edwards tensai at
Fri Dec 2 10:56:16 MST 2005

On Fri, 2005-12-02 at 10:37 -0700, Gabriel Gunderson wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-12-02 at 08:52 -0700, Nicholas Leippe wrote:
> > > I'm just wondering if there's anything in a typical Linux server
> > > installation that won't typically survive a 2 AM rsync.
> >
> > What about mail files and their corresponding index files?
> I've been reading this thread and wondering if you are talking about two
> different things.
> It seems that Nicholas is saying that an rsync is not enough to back up
> a server that has important and changing temporary data written to
> files.
> It seems that Ross wants to know if there is any harm in rsyncing the
> directories where that data lives.

If you're interested in having a real-time replica of a disk partition I
highly recommend DRBD. It is a block layer mirroring system. I am using
it for a number of very busy mail servers and it is a champ. We even had
to fail over one and the second box took off like nothing had happened.
Of course, that's in addition to a RAID 5 and our nightly backups to