Difference between Mstar, iProvo and Utopia

Gary Thornock gthornock at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 2 10:51:35 MST 2005

--- Kenneth Burgener <kenneth at uvlug.org> wrote:
> Here is a fairly simple question...
>
> What is the difference between Mstar, iProvo and Utopia?
>
> I original assumption was Utopia is the government owned fiber
> optic network, and Mstar and iProvo are private companies
> leasing the lines from the government.  Is this correct?

iProvo and Utopia are both community fiber optic networks. iProvo
covers, as the name implies, the city of Provo.  Utopia's service
area involves some 18 cities, of which Provo is not one.

Mstar is one of the two available service providers (ISP, phone,
TV) on the iProvo network.  (The other is Veracity.)  Mstar
is also one of the providers available on the Utopia network,
competing with Veracity and XMission (and possibly others, I'm
not sure).