Raid 5 (was: Mounting of Linux volumes)

Gabriel Gunderson gabe at gundy.org
Fri Dec 2 10:37:31 MST 2005

On Fri, 2005-12-02 at 08:52 -0700, Nicholas Leippe wrote:
> > I'm just wondering if there's anything in a typical Linux server
> > installation that won't typically survive a 2 AM rsync.
>
> What about mail files and their corresponding index files?

I've been reading this thread and wondering if you are talking about two
different things.

It seems that Nicholas is saying that an rsync is not enough to back up
a server that has important and changing temporary data written to
files.

It seems that Ross wants to know if there is any harm in rsyncing the
directories where that data lives.

The answer (it seems) is no.  However, it will not be that valuable in
restoring that service from a back-up.

Did I misread all of that?

Gabe