Raid 5

Steve Meyers steve-plug at spwiz.com
Fri Dec 2 09:55:07 MST 2005

Corey Edwards wrote:
> Now with RAID 10 you lose capacity vs the same disks in a RAID 5, but as
> you add more disks the chance that two drives in the same RAID 1 pair go
> out actually goes down. And in the performance category, you've got more
> spindles.

So you're telling me that if I have two disks in a RAID 1 pair, and then
I add two more disks in a RAID 1 pair, the chances of both disks in the
first pair dying at the same time go down?  I don't buy that.  They're
completely independent of the second pair.  Because they're independent,
you actually add them together (kind of), and you increase your chances
of a pair failing.

They're still pretty slim, though.  I agree that RAID 10 is more
reliable than RAID 5.