Raid 5 (was: Mounting of Linux volumes)

Ross Werner ross at agilestudios.com
Fri Dec 2 07:54:55 MST 2005

On Thu, 1 Dec 2005, Nicholas Leippe wrote:
> On Thursday 01 December 2005 10:02 pm, Ross Werner wrote:
>> Out of curiousity, what sort of apps could cause serious problems when
>> rsyncing a drive mounted rw?
>
> Any application that relies on the coherency of multiple, volatile files--ie
> they correlate differently over time.
>
> - databases
> - any application that produces temporary files (web server session
>  data, perhaps?)

I can understand databases, but any application that produces temporary
files ... well, won't that just mean you won't copy all the temporary
files with 100% accuracy? I mean, they're *temporary* ... in the event of
a complete data loss and restore from backups, won't restarting the
service or whatever application it is flush those temporary files, making
losing temporary files of little concern?

I'm just wondering if there's anything in a typical Linux server
installation that won't typically survive a 2 AM rsync.

 	~ Ross