Raid 5 (was: Mounting of Linux volumes)

Andrew McNabb amcnabb at mcnabbs.org
Thu Dec 1 23:30:54 MST 2005

On Thu, Dec 01, 2005 at 11:03:03PM -0700, Nicholas Leippe wrote:
> On Thursday 01 December 2005 10:55 pm, Andrew McNabb wrote:
> > The DM system in Linux can do a snapshot (I believe LVM has an interface
> > to it).  It's a very simple approach.
>
> What kind of performance impact does it have?  Are there any constraints?

As far as I understand, the performance impact is negligible.  However,
it is a pretty new feature, and from what I can tell on the web, each
individual filesystem needs to support it by being able to flush just
before the snapshot is taken.  It looks like xfs is the best-tested with
it.

All of this is just what I could glean from mailing list comments, so
take it with a grain of salt.  I imagine that in the near future, LVM
snapshots will become pretty practical.

--
Andrew McNabb
http://www.mcnabbs.org/andrew/