Raid 5 (was: Mounting of Linux volumes)

Ross Werner ross at agilestudios.com
Thu Dec 1 22:02:04 MST 2005

On Thu, 1 Dec 2005, Nicholas Leippe wrote:
> As for rsync'ing an entire drive, are you doing so with the source drive
> mounted rw?  Cause if so, you may not get a 'snapshot' of the drive.
> Depending on the apps using the drive, this could cause serious problems.

In my case, I'm primarily backing up data partitions--I'm not so concerned
about the Linux install or the applications themselves. For things like
databases I dump to an SQL file before I do the backup anyway (it's a
beast to restore databases from the actual data files the db uses, when
it's even possible).

Out of curiousity, what sort of apps could cause serious problems when
rsyncing a drive mounted rw?

 	~  Ross