Raid 5 (was: Mounting of Linux volumes)

Jeff Schroeder jeff at neobox.net
Thu Dec 1 21:43:51 MST 2005

Ross wrote:

> For backups I don't think there's a better way to go (as evidenced by
> earlier threads) than rsyncing to hard drive.

I concur.  When I discovered rsync a few years ago it was fabulous-- it
makes exact copies of every file, down to access times and ownership,
and is screaming fast across huge partitions where perhaps only a few
files change (such as a CVS repository).

> If off-site backups are important, do the initial mirroring on-site
> and then rsync nightly from an off-site location.

That's what I do with about a dozen remote servers scattered around the
country: every night I grab updates and store them on a single massive
file server.  Data can be restored if needed (hardly ever-- typically
when someone has deleted a file or wants an old copy of a database
table) and having offsite storage is added protection.

$0.02,
Jeff