Raid 5 (was: Mounting of Linux volumes)

Ross Werner ross at agilestudios.com
Thu Dec 1 18:46:30 MST 2005

On Thu, 1 Dec 2005, Jeff Schroeder wrote:
> Bang for the buck.  I'm using 300GB+ drives, and having to buy 33% more
> drives for the redundancy (is my math right?) can get expensive across
> many servers.

What's your process for when a drive fails on your software RAID 5
machines? Have you always been able to boot with one drive gone? Or do you
have some sort of boot CD with software RAID configured properly on it? I
have only tried out RAID 5 once, on a server that ate hard drives for
lunch, and I was never able to successfully boot after a drive bit the
dust, and using software RAID whenever a drive failed the machine would
lock up completely.

 	~ Ross