Raid 5 (was: Mounting of Linux volumes)

Ross Werner ross at agilestudios.com
Thu Dec 1 16:56:12 MST 2005

On Thu, 1 Dec 2005, James Clawson wrote:

> I will access the volume as root as you suggested.  As for the second disk,
> it was RAID 5, and your response was pretty much what I suspected.  Oh, well.

Since we're on the subject of RAID, what's the speed difference like
between RAID 1 and RAID 5? Is that pretty much the only benefit of RAID 5?

RAID 5 seems nearly impossible to recover from anything apart from a
single drive failure--any sort of data corruption, or a power outage, or
pretty much anything unexpected can render your data unsalvageable,
especially if you're using software RAID ... whereas with RAID 1, you
always have the option of just treating the disk like a normal drive.

Are there compelling reasons to use RAID 5 over RAID 1? The convenience
factor of RAID 1 just seems to outweigh all performance benefits of
RAID 5, especially when you factor in recovery time and things like that.

 	~ Ross