Serial port logging

Barry Roberts blr at robertsr.us
Thu Dec 1 09:55:10 MST 2005

On Thu, Dec 01, 2005 at 08:16:13AM -0700, jeff wrote:
> I have several systems that have their console redirected to serial and
> are connected to another machine (monitor).  I am able to use minicom to
> access all these, but I'd like to log everything that comes across the
> com port as well.  Any suggestions?

I've already tried everything suggested (screen was pretty close), but
they are all kludgy, prone to human error, or just plain unreliable.

What works GREAT (but isn't cheap) is a Cyclades TS or AlterPatch ACS
box.  They are PPC boxes running Linux.  You can configure them to
always log either to an internal PCMCIA hard drive (on the AlterPath)
or an NFS share.  They are rock solid boxes and work great.  For
years.

FWIW,
Barry Roberts