Serial port logging

Richard Esplin richjunk1 at byu.net
Thu Dec 1 09:32:52 MST 2005

Though not 100% reliable, the best solution I have found is to use screen with
minicom -C. For instance, you could put this command into an init script:

screen -t "MySerialSession" -S "MySerialSession" -d -m minicom
-C /var/log/MySerialLog.log

Then when you log into a machine, you can access the log either by reattaching
the screen session (screen -r), or browsing the log file.

Check out the man pages for screen and minicom to see exactly what is going
on.

I would appreciate better solutions, if anyone has one.

Richard Esplin