Mounting of Linux volumes

James Clawson jclawsonx at mac.com
Thu Dec 1 04:12:36 MST 2005

Greetings to my fellow Linux users,
I need to mount two HDDs for data recovery purposes.  One is a disk
which contains three valid Linux partitions, and the other was once
part of a RAID which spanned three disks.

The first HDD is in a computer which will boot, but for which I have
no username or password lists.  I can mount the partitions on that
disk while running Linux from a different HDD and, as root, change
the ownership and permissions of all of the files on that HDD, which
would allow me to recover the data I need from the drive.  The result
of this would be that that drive would no longer be a usable Linux
install.  As that result is not desirable, I intend to duplicate all
of those partitions using dd and then extract the data from the
duplicate volume.  Does anyone know of a better solution to this?

I have retrieved a fair amount of data already from the second HDD by
use of foremost.  Thank you to those on the list who recommended that
application to me earlier this year.  Unfortunately, I have
encountered a problem using that tool, as the drive was fragmented,
and any file larger than a few blocks seems to be broken up due to
that fragmentation.  However, I believe I have repaired the surface
of the volume sufficiently such that where I able to reassemble the
RAID, I believe the disk, would be usable.  As the other two disks of
the RAID are not usable, that is not an option.  Is there any way to
access the raw files on that disk without the remainder of the RAID?
Is there any way to rebuild or reorder the segments to minimize the
impact of fragmentation on the volume?

Thank you,
Jim