OT - Gas to hit 4.00

Doran Barton fozz at iodynamics.com
Wed Aug 31 16:54:34 MDT 2005

Roberto Mello wrote:
> Changing from gallons to liters (or gallon bottles to liter cartons) is
> not that revolutionary or dangerous of a change :-)

I don't know how many actually remember, but President Reagan was in favor of
the country changing its standard of measurement from the english system to
the more internationally observed (and scientifically observed) metric
system. For a brief time during the mid-1980s, there were many areas
throughout the country that had MPH and km/h speed limit signs posted on
freeways. It was during the 80s that cars were required to have both systems
of measurement on their spedometers.

Then, after the Reagan administration ended, this movement was quietly rolled
back.

I don't understand it. Most of the people I know who are not college educated
think the metric system is stupid and difficult to learn. Of course, Roberto
is an example of someone who has had to deal with the stupidity and
difficulty of coming the other direction and having to learn the english
system of measurement after having grown up with metric. It's MUCH more
difficult to find logic and/or reason in the english measurement system.

There are definite advantages to converting a society from english to metric,
but it WOULD be a revolutionary change in the U.S. would take years or
decades to implement. Consider your average car- even cars manufactured by
foreign companies still have tires on them which are measured using english
units. Consider the roadway infrastructure and the expense of converting that
all over - and all the maps and GPS devices, etc. etc.

I would say, yeah, it's worth it, but there are a lot of (stupid,
uneducated?) people involved in public policy in this country who won't see
it the way I do.

  "Dealers will hear car talk at noon"
     -- Headline seen in newspaper