OT - Gas to hit 4.00

Jonathan Ellis jonathan at carnageblender.com
Wed Aug 31 15:28:02 MDT 2005

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 15:21:56 -0600, "Richard Esplin" <richjunk1 at byu.net>
said:
> I would rather have us choose higher gas prices through taxation, then
> have it
> forced on us by insatiable demand (because of our cultural lifestyle)
> during
> a time of limited supply.

I saw an interesting suggestion some time ago by some editorialist
(possibly Friedman, not sure).  He proposed the federal government
impose a sliding gas tax, such that normal price + tax = fixed number,
with the funds going towards investing in other energy sources.

I'm skeptical that the government should be making the decision of where
to invest money given their horrible track record in that area, but at
least it was more creative than most government-oriented solutions. :)

-Jonathan