OT - Gas to hit 4.00

Jeff Schroeder jeff at neobox.net
Wed Aug 31 14:25:00 MDT 2005

Grant wrote:

> I just had to vent and I know the PLUG loves OT conversations. :)

Heh, I'll bite. :)

> Does our government not realize this is killing the average American?

It's hilarious, in a sad way, how Americans gripe so loudly about gas
prices that are less than *half* of what they are in Europe.  I don't
think any country in the world pays less for commercial gasoline, while
at the same time no country in the world has as many drivers burning up
that gas at furious rates.

I'm not a fan of high gas prices either, but I see this as a Good Thing
for three reasons:

1) It'll stimulate (finally) the growth of alternative energy sources.

2) It'll cause all the people driving enormous three-ton Explursions and
whatever other SUV's to think twice about why they need such a mammoth
vehicle to drive a half-mile to the video store.

3) It'll make people get out and actually walk or bike places for a
change.

> Then why in the hell can't I get more than 30mpg in my car?  Maybe
> something bigger is at play here ........

Well, there are hybrid cars getting 50 MPG, and souped-up ones (granted,
with some expensive modifications) getting 200+ MPG.  The technology is
there, but it's either being suppressed by the oil companies (who have
a vested interest in selling more of their product) or not implemented
by the auto companies (because of the added cost).

Excuse me while I adjust my tinfoil hat now. ;)

$0.02,
Jeff