Free Opera license, today only

Jacob Fugal lukfugl at gmail.com
Wed Aug 31 13:37:42 MDT 2005

> Humor aside though, the vast majority of JS out there does NOT even
> attempt to detect capabilities, it only looks at the browser header
> string to determine if it can run or not.

That's why he said "well written". JS code that relies on the UA
header to determine available capabilities is not anywhere near well
written. And yes, JS can be well written. I've seen plenty. The
inundation of bad JS code is a reflection of the general JS
programmer, not the language... (just like perl).

/me ducks

Back to Stuart's post (if I read it right, I haven't had experience
with Opera), the problem is that Opera's masquerading as IE goes
beyond the UA header by faking the capabilities as well. So even well
written Javascript gets faked out and the script breaks.

Jacob Fugal