Adding an existing drive as second drive

justin gedge jgedge at amis.com
Tue Aug 30 17:39:12 MDT 2005

try this:

su [to root]

/sbin/fdisk /dev/hdf

once you're in-- type `m' for menu -- you'll get something like this:

Command (m for help): m
Command action
   a   toggle a bootable flag
   b   edit bsd disklabel
   c   toggle the dos compatibility flag
   d   delete a partition
   l   list known partition types
   m   print this menu
   n   add a new partition
   o   create a new empty DOS partition table
   p   print the partition table
   q   quit without saving changes
   s   create a new empty Sun disklabel
   t   change a partition's system id
   u   change display/entry units
   v   verify the partition table
   w   write table to disk and exit
   x   extra functionality (experts only)

 From here-- put in `p' for print partition table
on my laptop [being discussed and mocked in another thread] the
partition table shows up:

Command (m for help): p

Disk /dev/hda: 100.0 GB, 100030242816 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 12161 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

/dev/hda1   *           1        1306    10490413+  83  Linux
/dev/hda2            1307       12160    87184755    f  W95 Ext'd (LBA)
/dev/hda5            1307        1829     4200966   82  Linux swap / Solaris
/dev/hda6            1830       12160    82983726   83  Linux

If you do `l' to list the partition types you get the following list:

Command (m for help): l

 0  Empty           1e  Hidden W95 FAT1 80  Old Minix       be  Solaris
boot
 1  FAT12           24  NEC DOS         81  Minix / old Lin bf
Solaris
 2  XENIX root      39  Plan 9          82  Linux swap / So c1
DRDOS/sec (FAT-
 3  XENIX usr       3c  PartitionMagic  83  Linux           c4
DRDOS/sec (FAT-
 4  FAT16 <32M      40  Venix 80286     84  OS/2 hidden C:  c6
DRDOS/sec (FAT-
 5  Extended        41  PPC PReP Boot   85  Linux extended  c7
Syrinx
 6  FAT16           42  SFS             86  NTFS volume set da  Non-FS
data
 7  HPFS/NTFS       4d  QNX4.x          87  NTFS volume set db  CP/M /
CTOS / .
 8  AIX             4e  QNX4.x 2nd part 88  Linux plaintext de  Dell
Utility
 9  AIX bootable    4f  QNX4.x 3rd part 8e  Linux LVM       df
BootIt
 a  OS/2 Boot Manag 50  OnTrack DM      93  Amoeba          e1  DOS
access
 b  W95 FAT32       51  OnTrack DM6 Aux 94  Amoeba BBT      e3  DOS
R/O
 c  W95 FAT32 (LBA) 52  CP/M            9f  BSD/OS          e4
SpeedStor
 e  W95 FAT16 (LBA) 53  OnTrack DM6 Aux a0  IBM Thinkpad hi eb  BeOS
fs
 f  W95 Ext'd (LBA) 54  OnTrackDM6      a5  FreeBSD         ee  EFI
GPT
10  OPUS            55  EZ-Drive        a6  OpenBSD         ef  EFI
(FAT-12/16/
11  Hidden FAT12    56  Golden Bow      a7  NeXTSTEP        f0
Linux/PA-RISC b
12  Compaq diagnost 5c  Priam Edisk     a8  Darwin UFS      f1
SpeedStor
14  Hidden FAT16 <3 61  SpeedStor       a9  NetBSD          f4
SpeedStor
16  Hidden FAT16    63  GNU HURD or Sys ab  Darwin boot     f2  DOS
secondary
17  Hidden HPFS/NTF 64  Novell Netware  b7  BSDI fs         fd  Linux
raid auto
18  AST SmartSleep  65  Novell Netware  b8  BSDI swap       fe
LANstep
1b  Hidden W95 FAT3 70  DiskSecure Mult bb  Boot Wizard hid ff
BBT
1c  Hidden W95 FAT3 75  PC/IX

Unfortunately-- this will NOT tell you if a partition is formatted with
ext2/ext3/reiserfs etc... it only really helps you find linux/swap/dos
etc...

But from here-- you should be able to see if you should mount /dev/hdf1
or hdf6 or whatever.

 From here-- you'll want to put your entries in the /etc/fstab file.
While you're trying to figure out which filesystems you have-- I'd
recommend putting them in as read only so you don't trash anything.
Another option would be to test drive all these by amnually issuing the
mount command until you can read something-- then fill in the /etc/fstab
file appropriately.

an example of the /etc/fstab file from my work machine shows the
switches for read only [ro] on the /dev/cdrom -- make sure you put this
in as you're test driving filesystems so you don't trash anything.

LABEL=/                 /                       ext2    defaults        1 1
none                    /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0
none                    /proc                   proc    defaults        0 0
none                    /dev/shm                tmpfs   defaults        0 0
/dev/hda8               /scratch                ext3    defaults        1 2
/dev/hda3               swap                    swap    defaults        0 0
/dev/hda5               swap                    swap    defaults        0 0
/dev/hda6               swap                    swap    defaults        0 0
/dev/hda7               swap                    swap    defaults        0 0
/dev/cdrom              /mnt/cdrom              iso9660
noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0
/dev/fd0                /mnt/floppy             auto
noauto,owner,kudzu 0 0
/dev/sda1               /mnt/usbkey             auto
noauto,noatime,users,rw 0 0
/dev/sda1               /mnt/usbext2            ext2
noauto,noatime,users,rw 0 0

Justin Gedge