Adding an existing drive as second drive

Ross Werner ross at agilestudios.com
Mon Aug 29 08:34:56 MDT 2005

On Mon, 29 Aug 2005, Al Byers wrote:

> I am running SUSE 9.1 and I would like to throw in the main drive from an old
> RH 9 machine and get some info off of it. The system sees it as /dev/hdf but
> I can't mount it or determine its filesystem (I guess there could be
> several). Does this have something to do with the way that the super block is
> written? Anyway, is there a way around this problem?

Are you doing "mount /dev/hdf /mnt/mountpoint" rather than
"mount /dev/hdf1 /mnt/mountpoint"? You'll have to do the latter to
actually mount the partitions (first partition is 1, second is 2, etc).

If you don't know what all the partitions are, you can do:
"fdisk /dev/hdf" followed by the command "p" (print the partition table),
followed by "q" (quit without saving changes). That will give you a list
of all the partitions, their filesystem types, and their relative sizes.
(If you already know all this and are having different problems, please
ignore this email :-)

On that note, does anyone else happen to know another/easier way to print
the partition table without dabbling in fdisk?

   ~ Ross

--

"What are you doing?"
"Work . . ."