installing Sun JDK on Fedora Core 4

Bryan Sant bryan.sant at gmail.com
Fri Aug 26 11:00:12 MDT 2005

On 8/26/05, Charles Curley <charlescurley at charlescurley.com> wrote:
> That said, is there any reason not to use the gcj development tools
> already packaged for FC4? I am not trying to start a flame war, just
> curious for my own edification?

Unfortunately yes.  The new GCC 4.0 has great Java support, but there
are still some API's that are missing (Swing for example).  Also, most
of the time, Sun's JIT complier still runs faster than code
pre-compiled with GCJ.  A GCJ pre-compiled version of Eclipse comes
with FC4, but it runs faster as a pure Java app JITed with Sun's JVM.

GCJ has the lions share of the attention in the GCC project though.
It is progressing quickly and I suspect it will be first class in the
next few versions.

I typically do all of my development with Sun's JDK (and Eclipse or
Netbeans), but I'll compile to native code with GCJ whenver it's
possible.

-Bryan