installing Sun JDK on Fedora Core 4

Barry Roberts blr at robertsr.us
Fri Aug 26 10:55:47 MDT 2005

On Fri, Aug 26, 2005 at 10:45:16AM -0600, Charles Curley wrote:
> That said, is there any reason not to use the gcj development tools
> already packaged for FC4? I am not trying to start a flame war, just
> curious for my own edification? http://www.jpackage.org/

I use it some, but I'm a java developer and there are LOTS of things I
couldn't get to work reliably (or at all) without a Sun or IBM JDK.

gcj won't compile my apps without crashing. I have to disable several
things in my build.xml because lots of ant tasks I use don't work.  I
couldn't even get the packaged tomcat to run my app.

I wanted to use gcj, I really, really, did.  And it's a lot further
along than it used to be.  But it isn't usable (for me) yet.

Is anything using Swing even supposed to work yet with gcj/gij et al?
I couldn't get anything to work.

Barry