installing Sun JDK on Fedora Core 4

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Fri Aug 26 10:45:16 MDT 2005

On Fri, Aug 26, 2005 at 07:05:14AM -0600, Russel Caldwell wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm trying to intall Sun JDK on a machine that has Fedora Core 4 on it
> but I'm getting a message that it can't run in graphical mode and it
> suggests running the installer in -console or -silent mode. When I run
> it in -console mode I get a similar message and when I run it in
> -silent mode it seems to install but I can't find the installed
> package afterwards. Does anybody have any suggestions on how to
> install it? Also, I've run into a Redhat document that suggests to
> manually install the Sun Java tarball but I have not been able to find
> a tarball. Does it exist and if so where is it?

If I were going to install Sun's JDK, first thing I'd do is get and
install the docs. http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/download.jsp#docs.
Installation notes are at:
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/install.html.

To get the JDK itself, go here:
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/download.jsp

That said, is there any reason not to use the gcj development tools
already packaged for FC4? I am not trying to start a flame war, just
curious for my own edification? http://www.jpackage.org/