installing Sun JDK on Fedora Core 4

Shane Hathaway shane at hathawaymix.org
Fri Aug 26 09:58:45 MDT 2005

Ross Werner wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Aug 2005, Russel Caldwell wrote:
>
>> I'm trying to intall Sun JDK on a machine that has Fedora Core 4 on it
>> but I'm getting a message that it can't run in graphical mode and it
>> suggests running the installer in -console or -silent mode.
>
> I would suggest building RPMs for the JDK using JPackage. RPMs are much
> easier to install/uninstall/use to resolve dependencies than tarballs or
> Sun's .bin installer.

I agree, though I'll add that knowing multiple ways to work around ugly
graphical installers in Linux is a useful skill.  Here's what I do, as root:

   export XAUTHORITY=/home/shane/.Xauthority
   export DISPLAY=:0

... then I can run the graphical installer as root.  Yes, it's both
insecure and ideologically impure.  I need no reminder of that. ;-)

Another strategy is to try to install as a normal user into your home
directory.  This works with Skype.

Shane