installing Sun JDK on Fedora Core 4

Ross Werner ross at agilestudios.com
Fri Aug 26 09:26:45 MDT 2005

On Fri, 26 Aug 2005, Russel Caldwell wrote:

> I'm trying to intall Sun JDK on a machine that has Fedora Core 4 on it
> but I'm getting a message that it can't run in graphical mode and it
> suggests running the installer in -console or -silent mode.

I would suggest building RPMs for the JDK using JPackage. RPMs are much
easier to install/uninstall/use to resolve dependencies than tarballs or
Sun's .bin installer. There's a nice walkthrough here:
http://fedoranews.org/mediawiki/index.php/JPackage_Java_for_FC4

If you don't want to go through all those steps yourself, I have the RPMs
already built for FC4. Email me off-list and I can send them to you if you
like.

   ~ Ross

--

"Everybody has to have a philosophy. Some people believe in laissez faire
  economics, others believe in reincarnation. Some people even believe that