Time sync

Corey Edwards tensai at zmonkey.org
Thu Aug 25 23:04:42 MDT 2005

On Thu, 2005-08-25 at 22:48 -0600, Ned Hanks wrote:
> On 8/25/05, Sasha Pachev <sasha at asksasha.com> wrote:
> > Hello, everyone:
> >
> > Lately I've been struggling trying to find a time server that would
> be both free
> > and reliable ( as in you can count on it being up). I do not really
> need a very
> > high precision - a couple seconds off is OK. So I came up with the
> following hack:
> >

> Check out http://www.pool.ntp.org.  I have not had any problems since
> I changed to use their server pools.

The nice thing about NTP is that it adjusts your software clock
according to its measurements so that in the future your clock will skew
less.

Since we're talking about NTP, I'll tell you my favorite NTP command.

$ ntpq -p localhost
    remote           refid     st t when poll reach  delay offset jitter
time.windows.co 192.43.244.18   2 u    1   64    37 62.225    884 11.034

As you can see, often I use time.windows.com. That's something they
started with XP IIRC. Maybe it was 2k. Anyway, it's an NTP server and I
don't mind wasting Microsoft's bandwidth, plus they don't have any
access lists.

Corey