DVD Burner recommendations?

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Thu Aug 25 10:43:11 MDT 2005

On Sat, Jul 30, 2005 at 10:14:12AM -0600, Michael Torrie wrote:
> On Sat, 2005-07-30 at 07:41 -0600, Charles Curley wrote:
> > Well, as a DVD+RW, this setup is a bust. It will burn part of the
> > image, say 510 out of 527 MB. I tried it on a different machine, but
> > it's a USB 1 machine. The pilot light cycled on & off. The software
> > claimed it got a good write, but comparing the data with the DVD
> > failed.
>
> Could be a defective drive. That's for sure.  I've yet to get a bad burn
> with my USB setup (or the internal one on my other PC), even with usb
> 1.1.  With usb 1.1 the DVD write speed was really bad for me (like 0.3x)
> but it did work.

Looks like it was the drive. I shipped it back, got a replacement,
upgraded the firmware, and have sucessfully burned several Memorex
DVD+RWs and CD-RWs.

"Sucessfully" means I get a good comparison from K3B after the burn,
and I can mount the medium and the image and run "diff -r --brief
/media/cdrecorder image". With the CD-RWs, it means I can also do that
with several different CD drives.