Mac OS X Tiger problems with Samba 3.0.14a on Debian

Hans Fugal hans at fugal.net
Thu Aug 18 15:57:07 MDT 2005

Strange, I have tiger and haven't noticed any problems. But my brother
(also running tiger) has.

falcon$ smbd -V
Version 3.0.14a-Debian

Here's the relevant part of my config:

[global]
        workgroup = FUGAL
        printcap name = cups
        printing = cups
        map to guest = bad user
        #unix extensions = no
        load printers = yes
        socket address = 172.17.0.3 127.0.0.1

[homes]
        valid users = %S
        read only = No
        browseable = No

I can connect just fine by pressing cmd-k on my ibook while finder is in
focus, and typing smb://falcon/fugalh (doesn't ask for a password so it
must be getting it from keychain).

FWIW I was running panther and upgraded to tiger, whereas my brother had
tiger from the get-go.