DIY Media Client?

Nicholas Leippe nick at
Wed Aug 17 09:20:06 MDT 2005

On Tuesday 16 August 2005 07:32 pm, Steve wrote:
> The main question then would be what would be the best software for
> streaming in video from my gentoo box and outputing it to the TV with
> the minimum of user intervention.
> I'm of course looking for FOSS solutions, so does anyone here have any
> experience doing this sort of thing?

I can think of two solutions right off,

simple - videolan
more complex - MythTV

My vote would be for MythTV--a much more powerful and flexible solution.
But, to just get video to the box the videolan client can stream from a
webserver even--you could just set up apache on your server and you'd be

I'm sure there are many other FOSS solutions available as well.

Nicholas Leippe
Sales Team Automation, LLC
1335 West 1650 North, Suite C
Springville, UT  84663 +1 801.853.4090