DIY Media Client?

Steve smorrey at gmail.com
Tue Aug 16 19:32:16 MDT 2005

Hello everyone-
I've recently come into possesion of a couple of fairly new looking MB's
K7SOM+ is the only identifying characteristics on the MBs.
It gave me the idea that I should maybe make them into some kind of
Media Client.
What I'm looking to do is use my current desktop PC which has over 100
gigs of stored media, DVD's CDs DVD-RIPs etc, as a server and stream the
data to a client box hooked up to my big screen.
The MBs have onboard integrated video as well as 3 open PCI slots, my
plan thus far is to get a video card with TV-OUT and disable the onboard
video in the bios.

The other thing I was thinking to add would be a networking setup of
somekind, the MB has an ethernet port, so my most obvious idea would be
to simply hook a linksys wirless game adapter to it, and have it ride my
WLAN thereby saving me the trouble of stringing wires.

The main question then would be what would be the best software for
streaming in video from my gentoo box and outputing it to the TV with
the minimum of user intervention.
I'm of course looking for FOSS solutions, so does anyone here have any
experience doing this sort of thing?

Thanx in advance.